Saturday, October 25, 2008

Rental Queue: Weeks Two, Three and Four

On top of the movie reviews I also write for the commentary section of the paper. Here I just write little blurbs about movies I've seen. They tie into the movies that released that week in theaters, to new releases on DVD, as well as the movie I chose to review. There are also recommendations tied to trailers I saw, or inspired by channel surfing, or whatever I rented from Blockbuster that week. So... pretty much any movies I want. Hah. These are my Rental Queues so far.


For Appaloosa: (Week Two)

The Jack Bull:

After viewing Appaloosa this week I could not stop thinking about this great flick. Set in a similar venue, the old west, with a sinister land lord to deal with, The Jack Bull is a more serious exploration of character and justice than this week’s reviewed movie. It features a very powerful performance from John Cusack, and a plot that is simply captivating.

Being Julia:

Not a western. Actually, I recommend this movie simply because I think Jeremy Irons is remarkable in this strange, distinctly individual character. Sure, it’s difficult for me to believe Annette Benning playing a ‘great actress’, but that doesn’t detract from how good a movie this ends up being. If you’re an actor, know anything about the craft, or just appreciate a good character piece, this film should do it for you.

Pollock:

Another film directed by Ed Harris. It’s difficult to compare the two, considering how starkly different the content is. This is one I can’t say much about, beyond this: if you want to see more of Ed Harris’s directing style, as well as his ability as an actor, then this is the place to look.

Iron Man:

No. This has nothing to do with Appaloosa, or any of the actors in it. But it is a relatively new release this month, and one of the best super hero movies I’ve ever seen. Robert Downey Jr. is ridiculously awesome here, and it’s a nice way to gear up for his next movie release, The Soloist, in theatres November 21. Not that I’m counting the days down, or anything.

The Contender:

Sometimes I spontaneously rent a movie because the cover looks cool, or there’s an actor that I recognize in it doing something interesting on the back of the box. This was one of those rentals. It stars Jeff Bridges, Joan Allen and Gary Oldman, all of whom deliver remarkable performances. Oldman, particularly, steals the show. Though, the last monologue from Jeff Bridges is simply exhilarating. It seems fitting nowadays, considering all the ruckus Sarah Palin is raising as a prospective Vice President.


For Max Payne: (Week Three)

Super Mario Bros.

With the release of Max Payne, my attention was returned once again to video games that have been turned into movies. With rip-roaring successes like Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Doom and so many others to pick from (is she being sarcastic?) I think the best recommendation I can make is the original: Super Mario Brothers. Sure, Goombas are giants with itty bitty heads with an affinity for elevator music, but, really, what else do you need?

The Italian Job

This is a role I think Mark Wahlberg is more adept at playing. He’s charming, amusing, intelligent and has his serious moments. Not slighting him for his more recent, dramatic roles, but it’s beginning to fool like he gets work because he’s really good at looking confused and/or intense. Not to mention the fact that the rest of this cast is absolutely brilliant, and the movie is entertaining from start to finish.

Hairspray

It was a toss up for me to decide on what James Marsden film to recommend in honor of the opening of Sex Drive. I love the X-Men movies, as well as Superman Returns and, of course, Enchanted. But if I had to recommend something based on sheer display of talent, it has to be Hairspray. He plays Corny Collins, the host of a popular television show, and shows off not only his charming personality, immaculate hair, and ability to act, but an amazing voice.

Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark

The release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull this week forces my hand as far as this recommendation goes. I cannot honestly allow myself to recommend the fourth installment directly, but if you’re picking it up anyway you might as well take another look at Raiders. The start of the Indiana Jones movie franchise, this film is one of the strongest installments, and my personal favorite. Reintroduce yourself to Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. and strap in for non-stop action, comedy and the rugged handsomeness that is Harrison Ford.

Wag the Dog

I’m mostly using the opening of W. downtown as an excuse for this one. Wag the Dog is one of my favorite films, hands down. It features powerful, comedic, engaging performances from Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro, with numerous supporting characters of worth and note. Its story is always applicable, and seems to echo the president we’re so close to saying goodbye to. Plus, it’s funny and very well written. It will leave you questioning, or at the very thinking about, the way the government, and elections, works.


For Quarantine: (Week Four)

Shaun of the Dead

So I don’t usually go to see scary movies. I am just not a fan of being terrified as I walk home alone, in the dark. But I have to admit, I love zombies. And I love comedy. Shaun of the Dead, then, is the perfect combination of both. It is one of the best zombie movies I’ve seen, simply because it’s entertaining, funny, and scary all at once. The set up and the execution of the zombie outbreak is one of the best I’ve seen. Absolutely hilarious, while still managing to be chilling.

28 Days Later

Not so hilarious. Not at all, in fact. The infected of this movie are similar to those found in Quarantine, and thus it earned a spot on my recommendation list. The sequel, too, is worth a look. Not at the same time, though, unless you’re really interested in being as freaked out as humanly possible. One of the many blood curdling things about the monster this chimpanzee-borne infection is how face and terrible the infected become. If someone was running at me like that, I would definitely be concerned.

High School Musical

What can be more terrifying than high school kids singing and dancing in a musical? Actually, a lot of things. Shamefully, I like this series of bouncy, innocent films. The first is still my favorite, and with the release of the third in theaters, I think it only fair to recommend that this movie be viewed. Only by the brave and daring, of course. Or fans of musical theatre, I suppose.

The Incredible Hulk

Ed Norton released a movie this week. It got a little lost under High School Musical and the fifth iteration of the Saw franchise, but it’s in there. In honor of that brave film, fighting for views against impossible odds, I think it fair to bolster the sales of his newest film to DVD. That, and it’s another addition to the high quality super hero movies we’ve been seeing as of late. Not as good as Iron Man, despite what the commercials try to tell you, The Incredible Hulk is still a worthy piece of work and a good buy, or rental. And if you wait long enough, there’s a little Tony Stark to be enjoyed.

Jurassic Park

This recommendation comes from channel surfing, once again. This is one of my personal all time favorite movies. The kind that I will stop and watch, no matter what else is on and how many times I’ve seen it. Dinosaurs, Jeff Goldblum, and the story from one of the coolest books ever written all adds up to a great time in my opinion. Plus, I still consider it one of the most graphically impressive movies of its time. Just watch out for Velociraptors. They know how to open doors, and they don’t know pity or fear.

No comments: